Food allergies and special diet needs are becoming more common. Dining Services has your health and safety in mind when handling your special diet.
Guide to Vegetarian Dining Options
Dining Services supports students with food allergies by providing the information necessary to make informed food choices in our dining locations. We are committed to developing a plan with those who have special dietary needs so that they may participate in the dining experience as much as possible. We make every effort to provide the tools and resources needed to be active in the management of a students’ food allergy or food-related medical condition. Here are some helpful tips.
Student responsibilities when managing a food allergy on campus
- Notify Dining Services of your allergy.
- Schedule a meeting with Executive Chef, Nick Vidovic, email him at email@example.com to meet to develop a plan so you can navigate the dining locations.
- Be proficient in the self-management of your food allergy:
- Avoidance of foods to which you are allergic.
- Recognition of symptoms of allergic reactions.
- Know how and when to tell someone you might be having an allergy-related problem.
- Know how to properly use prescribed medications to treat an allergic reaction.
- Carry emergency contact information with you.
- Review policies/procedures with Dining Services and your physician should a reaction occur.
- Read station signage, menus and ingredient information made available at the food stations at Rob’s Café or online at www.akron.campusdish.com to be better informed.
- When in doubt regarding ingredients in a particular food, direct your questions to the executive chef or manager on duty.
- Due to the self-serve nature of the residential dining halls, if you have been prescribed an Epi-pen, carry it with you at all times.
- If you notice something is problematic for your allergy, please notify our executive chef or manager on duty so they can take a look into your concern.
- If you have a question at any point, please ask our executive chef or manager on duty.If we do not hear from you, we believe that you are successfully navigating the dining locations.
The following services are available to help you manage your food allergy
- An individual meeting with our executive chef to receive information and develop an individual plan to help you navigate the dining locations.
- The executive chef or manager on duty is available in the dining locations to address questions/concerns and serve as important resources.
- Access to our executive chef for ingredient consultations.
- Introduction to the dining management team will give you direct access to individuals responsible for food preparation.
- Online menus for Rob’s Café are available at www.akron.campusdish.com with daily menu offerings and in-depth nutritional information for every menu item, including allergen information and filters for those with food allergies and/or intolerances.
- Manufacturer-provided ingredient lists available upon request.
- Signage located at each food station in Rob’s Café with nutritional information
- Nutritional and ingredient/allergen information at retail dining locations available upon request.
- Upon request, dining staff will change gloves or use fresh utensils or pans (at made-to-order food stations) to reduce cross-contact.
We develop a plan with you
- Students with special dietary needs are welcome to meet with our executive chef to review their allergies, share information on how they have managed their allergies and learn how they can navigate the dining locations.
- After the initial meeting, the executive chef and management team reviews the student’s personal dietary needs and help the student locate the food they can eat and accommodate their needs. Individual menu development and specially prepared foods may be provided when the daily offerings do not meet an individual’s dietary needs.
- A second meeting is held with the student and executive chef and any other location manager or chef. This meeting allows the student to meet other individuals who can serve as local resources when they have questions. It also lets the dining staff know who the student is so they are familiar with their specific allergies and concerns they may have. Lastly, the meeting serves to review the food options that are available and the steps that all concerned can take to accommodate their needs and find appropriate foods.
- Ongoing evaluation occurs after these initial meetings. If needed, the executive chef will continue to keep in close contact with the individual and check in periodically to monitor the process and provide assistance when required.
Dining Services uses manufacturer-provided ingredient information and we do not confirm the presence or lack of an allergen. We periodically review ingredients to verify that ingredient labeling is consistent with what is provided by the manufacturer. However, please be advised that ingredients listed may be subject to change without notification and that products prepared in our kitchen may have come in contact with common food allergens. Please direct any questions regarding an allergy or food ingredients to our executive chef or a manager on duty.
Ideas from our Chefs and DietitiansMore "feed your potential" tips, recipes and ideas from our chefs and dietitian.
Our Healthy for Life® CommitmentLearn more about our partnership with the American Heart Association and our Healthy for Life® commitment.
On Campus ResourcesCheck out on campus resources to find out what your school has to keep you healthy and active.